You know those days when you need a bit of a power kick? Your boss just put you down in a 'copy all' email; your kids hate you for who-knows-why reason; juggling work and family is more cyanide than circus; you've just read the latest report on gender pay inequity and realise it still kinda sucks to be a woman in 2016; or you just woke up feeling unappreciated and under-valued. Holly Golightly called them the Mean Reds:
The Mean Reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that? Well, when I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump in a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there.
I get where she's coming from, but for me to go to Tiffany's would involve a 20 minute discussion with the kids about why I was leaving the house, and since I'm going out can I please also buy sushi and two minute noodles on the way home. Then when I'd get to Tiffany's I'd discover it so crowded that my Mean Reds would have turned into Irritated Indigo and Annoyed Purple, and I'd give up and go home.
So, no. Much as I adore Holly Golightly, the simpler way to get over the Mean Reds is to play music. Loud. And sing to it. Here's a bit of a go-to list for empowering, kick ass, show them how pretty your middle finger manicure is, when you're having one of those less than empowered days.
1. Christina Aguilera - Fighter
'So thanks for making me a fighter'
2. Helen Reddy - I Am Woman (this works best for women who remember it before it became an incontinent pad advert)
'No one's ever going to keep me down again.'
3. Anything Pink, but especially So What
'I'm still a rock star. I've got my rock moves.'
4. Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive (It's an oldie but still a good one)
'I've got all my life to live and all my love to give and I'll survive.'
5. Carrie Underwood - Before He Cheats (this works regardless of whether it's a cheating bastard or life in general that's cheating you of happiness
'I look a Louisville slugger to both headlights, slashed a hole in all 4 tyres.'
6. Aretha Franklin - Respect (Watch the video and it'll all make sense)
'I got to have (just a little bit) a little respect.'
7. Grace (feat. G-Eazy) - You Don't Own Me (Says it all)
'Don't tell me what to do. Don't tell me what to say.'
'Now this is a song to celebrate the conscious liberation of the female state.'
9. Meghan Trainor - All About that Bass (for bad body image days)
'Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top.'
10. Beyonce - Run the World (Girls) (People who think it's ok to pay women less than men for doing the same job might want to think on this a little)
'I'm repping for the girls who taking over the world.'